Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Post Number IV


Post Number IV



The worst week of my online life has just come to its end as of this morning at 9PM.


As I’ve mentioned in my other posts, back in 2012 I got an offer from someone to do songs for maps involving a game called Doom 2. The first bout of the original project was fun, no rush; they had given me six months to work on it. More than enough time.

I should’ve known by then that things would only get worse after they unexpectedly cancelled the first project title “Projekt Xero” and announced a different one called Dimensions. But, in my try to be professional state, I took it with a grain of salt and inquired what they wanted this time.

I admit, I was intrigued by Dimensions as they only wanted 12 tracks instead of 36. What they didn’t tell me until halfway through is that I only had one month to work on it. One single solitary month.
That isn’t all, to make matters worse, the project leader got pushy, controlling and demanding. Not only did I have a month, he requested I leave the master tracks alone with only a spot of mixing here and there, no timing, nothing. Apparently he wanted a different “sound” and that left me less than enthusiastic about the finished product. Still, I finished it, I did my job.

A few weeks later, I find out that they’ve canceled this project too and gotten into some trouble. They wouldn’t tell me what so I had a friend who is technologically inclined to nose around a bit. Apparently the “people” I had been working for in these last three or four months is just one person. Not sure how I feel about it. I don’t care about the money though they, or he/she, did say I would get some kind of money. I know one thing, I’m done working with large mapping teams for games AND project leaders that are in a “group”.

I don’t need someone who draws blueprints for game level design acting like he knows anything about a synthesizer or telling me how to do my job. Tell me what kind of sound you want and I’ll do my best to deliver it. But don’t tell me when a track is finished, only I know that. In my humble opinion, Dimensions is nowhere near finished!

Still, I’ve already run into some luck. Apparently this guy had his “alter ego” post on another DOOM related forum and when the project got abandoned, a single person requested I do some tracks for another Doom-like game. The best part? I can take all the time I need. I don’t know who or what Little Temple Group was up to and what they thought they would accomplish by going mad but it wasn’t funny and I feel like any energy I put into a single one of the 27 tracks throughout the last three or so months have been a waste of my time.


So, thank you very much!



2 comments:

  1. Yikes. :-/ I'm not quite sure what to think. I'm one of the members on Doomworld and there's a nasty argument going on about this whole debacle. Hopefully it all blows over. BTW, have you got any plans for these tracks? It'd be a shame to waste them.

    -Obsidian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, I do plan to do something with most of the Dimensions soundtrack. I don't know what yet though. I just woke up about an hour and fifteen minutes ago and my inbox was like a cesspool of unread letters. Something is going on that I do know... Like you, I am regretfully not sure what.

      I might have over-reacted a wee bit in my blog though because I am finding puzzle plates that just refuse to match all over.

      I'm not quite certain I wish to get too involved though. I just write music I have hardly played the doom game series or any other products related to it. I feel any opinion I may have would be less than needed.

      Delete